Monday, January 3, 2011

Things I Liked In 2010 Part II: Blue Valentine


I saw this movie a few days ago, and I think it's the best movie that I saw last year. More than any other film I've seen in a long time, maybe ever, I got the sense while watching this 8-years-in-the-making debut by director Derek Cianfrance that I was watching something exactly as it would play out in reality. This is one of the bafflingly rare films that doesn't just speak to real, everyday life, but holds up a mirror to it and reflects it directly and harshly. The film also features flawless performances by its two leads (the characters whose relationship's rise and fall is followed in the film), Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. (Sidenote: Michelle Williams is kind of the best American actress these days. Who saw that coming??) It's a very hard film to synopsize further than that, so really you should just go see it. Oh yeah, also, almost the entire soundtrack is taken from the album Yellow House by Grizzly Bear, if that does anything for you. The equally uninformative trailer is below. It's showing in some cities now, and will be showing in more cities come Friday.


1 comment: