Saturday, October 10, 2009

An Album Review: Why? - Eskimo Snow

This album is surprisingly chill! Are you allowed to use the word surprise in an album review? How much should an album be judged by its own merits and not by its larger context within an artist's discography? Why am I asking questions that I don't intend to answer??? Because it looks cool and takes up space of course!

How chill is this album? Its so chill that there's not even a lot to say about it. That being said, excuse me for a second while I talk about Alopecia. Heres an album that begs to be discussed and over analyzed. I'm still a big fan of the album but some of the lyrics and musical concepts walk a thin line between amazing and cringe-worthy. As an artist approaches fringe (cringe) territory, a fan must ponder: how astray will this path go? Will the path ever lead back to earlier brilliance ala Oaklandasyunsfneumm whatever the fuck its called? How will Why? ""follow up"" this divisive work?

I must say I am happy with my question's answer! Eskimo Snow is everything that Alopecia is not. Alopecia was like... a stylistic one night stand. Not that Eskimo Snow is a "return to form" as an artist, but that its not a refining of the styles explored on Alopecia. It simultaneously sounds like Sanddollars era Why?, and something entirely new. Seeing Why? live might be a prerequisite for really liking this album. Theres something about the way Josiah plays drums thats so perfect and beautiful. He plays the drums chill! You can hear it in the track "January 20 something". Nothing would ruin the chillness of this album like overplaying the drums. Don't worry though. He's too busy playing the xylophone with his other hand.

The consistency of the album is something to applaud. Maybe its because it happens to be Fall, but it really captures the vibe of Fall. Its really vibey. Enjoy the vibes. Enjoy the flawless musicianship. Enjoy the frontman thats reconciling straight-facedness with a wink.

I give this album 8.7 thumbs up out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. alopecia>>>>eskimo snow, imo. best lyrics around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not ready to make a decision one way or the other, but I'm sure given time I'll feel the same way. Really though my heart lies with the older stuff. The early collabs with Reaching Quiet, Hymie's Basement, its all genius. Serious case of the midas touch.

    ReplyDelete