Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Paperback vs. Hardcover, Plus Deception


Cool article from the NY Times on publishers releasing paperbacks sooner after the hardcover editions are released, tying it to the rise of e-books, which are closer to paperback prices and are easier to carry around than a large hardcover book. Personally, I take this as fantastic news. I hate hardcover books and the prices that come with them (And the jackets? Ugh.), and I look forward to the day when I won't have to wait a year or more to read a book that's already out. I also just got a Kindle for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and it's not as unpleasant of a reading experience as I thought, though it certainly doesn't challenge my preference for the paperback.

Also, the picture they use for the article (above) is from one of my top 5 favorite bookstores in the world, Elliot Bay Book Company in Seattle. Stop by if you're in Capitol Hill, it's a gem. I'm also reading one of the books on that table right now. Cool, right?

Similarly, this article on Salon about the fact that everything we hear these days about Al Qaeda and Bin Laden's death comes from "unnamed government sources" (a tendency Glenn Greenwald has bemoaned at great length), and how that leaves us more or less in the dark where the truth is concerned is well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment