Thursday, September 2, 2010

They're Back Again

New New Left Media video! Yay! Honestly though, at this point you could probably say to them, if you saw them, "Okay, we get it now. These people are racists and grossly undereducated. You can stop now." And also, if someone did give a thoughtful reply to one of their queries (assuming there are Tea Baggers out there who do consider political issues, or anything for that matter, rationally), do you really think that they would put it in one of these videos? I do not. And you could say that that is them trying to beat Fox News at its own game. Which I think is a mistake, because that game is fucked. But then again, with Fox News shoving the same narrative down the collective throats of the large majority of Americans on a daily basis, it probably doesn't hurt much to have these two dudes reminding us every couple of months how offensive and crazy and hurtful that particular narrative is, and the damage it does to people's fact deprived brains. And also, it's really funny and unsettling in a way that almost all good comedy is these days, and it sometimes makes me LOL. So have fun laughing at the idiots.




UPDATE: Here's Henry Rollins talking about them.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not quite as "good" as the sarah palin / first tea party videos, those set a pretty high standard. Still, a few things stoke me out on every new video.

    1. at least 1-2 hilariously quotable lines (you know this... how?)

    2. editing that really highlights the regurgitation factor. i love the rapid fire bumbling answers all pretty much saying a telephoned version of some Glen Beck talking point.

    3. the occasional point blank admission that they have no idea what they're talking about and only got their info from rush / a church group / fox news / their sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but also interesting that if i were interviewed on my political views i would, i feel, come off equally bumbling and uninformed, and regurgitating (albeit supposedly more worldly/humane) equally partisan propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. That's a great point. I can make myself a case study here. Two years ago, when the nation was collectively struck with Obama The Candidate fever, I somehow got conned into doing some street interview outside of a shoe shop in New York. I can't remember the name of the program, but it was some internet only deal, or maybe local cable. Super low budge. Anyways, I was asked about how I thought Obama's victory would impact the American political system, how I thought the economy could be fixed, and other equally absurd questions to ask someone on the fucking street in New York just waiting for their friend to buy some shoes. On top of that, this woman approached me on the street and asked me if she could interview me, and I said yes but wasn't quite savvy enough to understand that that meant the unsuspecting dude standing next to her was going to pull a disproportionately large video camera out from under his rather small jacket and start recording me while the interviewer simultaneously reintroduces herself to me and starts with the absurdly broad questions which would require a much more considered response than she was obviously looking for from the dude with long hair in the East Village. Needless to say, I sounded like an idiot, for sure. I guess the difference would be, however, that the people interviewed by New Left Media are ostensibly at these events precisely to discuss their political concerns. Even further, they are there to garner public support and awareness for their "cause" or, more accurately, beliefs, and thus should have some level of preparedness if they really are going to expect people to take them seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NLM people = extremely opinionated and extremely uninformed.

    ReplyDelete